Who should attend this course
Pistol owners who can handle their firearms safely under range conditions, and can perform the necessary manipulations of their chosen handgun without assistance. Attendees of the class should complete one of the following:
- NSSF First Shots – Handgun Course >
- NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course >
- USCCA Protector Academy Level 1 Qualification >
- Private training with a Davenport Guns instructor covering the required competencies
- You have been shooting your whole life, but have never taken a formal firearms class (contact instructor)
- Other equivalent training or experience (contact instructor)
This class involves shooting from the holster. Rental guns and loaner gear are available, but the instructors will need at least 7 days prior notification in order to make sure that appropriate gear can be prepared. Clients who arrive to the class without the required gear may be sent home in order to preserve the training value of the class for the other attendees.
Essential CCW Skills Level I is an introductory course covering the technical competencies needed to safely and responsibly engage in defensive pistol training. In order to defend yourself with a handgun, you have to retrieve it from wherever it is, and get it where it needs to be, and then be able to apply fast, accurate and effective defensive fire. This course gets to started on performing these tasks, and gives you tools to increase your skill and efficiency after the course.
What To Bring
Note: Davenport Guns has everything you need to take the class for sale or loan at the store
- A safe, serviceable defensive handgun
- 200-250 rounds of ammunition
- A safe, serviceable holster* (loaner gear available, contact the instructor at least 7 days before class (563)277-3227)
- Gun belt
- At least one spare magazine, speed loader, or speed strip. More is better.
- Eye and ear protection
- Safe range clothing – closed toed shoes, crew-neck shirt, ball cap with bill to deflect brass away from the eyes and face
*Blackhawk SERPA Holsters and other similar holsters that use a retention device that is operated by the index finger of the shooting hand are banned from use in any class that involves the firing of live ammunition at Davenport Guns. A holster should completely cover the trigger guard of the firearm with rigid material, and should maintain its shape after the firearm is drawn. Unsafe or unserviceable holsters will not be allowed for use in shooting classes.
Lesson 1 – Safe and responsible gun handling habits that layer safety measures to mitigate the risk of handling a firearm to the lowest possible level
Lesson 2 –Tactical anatomy and the need for precision at speed
Lesson 3 – Using the sights/seeing what you need to see to get the hits you need
Lesson 4 – Biomechanically sound grip on the handgun, and its effect on accuracy and recoil management
Lesson 5 – Loading, reloading, and malfunction clearance techniques
Lesson 6 – Shooting from a ready position
Lesson 7 – Retrieving the gun from a staged location
Lesson 8 – Drawing the gun from the holster
Lesson 9 – Orienting on threats and using lateral movement
We can schedule a private class for groups of 5 or more!